Tuesday, March 2, 2010

T + 8 Days - WEIGH IN WEEK ONE

Woot Woot! I had my first weeks weigh in today and guess what? There really is a payoff to the 500 calories per day! I lost 5.6 pounds! I am so excited! Unreal. Nothing like having satisfying instant (relatively) gratification. It inspires me to lose more and eat less. Well, not less than 500 calories per day, but less than an elephant with a thyroid problem and a mean sweet tooth. 


I still find myself amazed at how easy this diet really has been. The people at Medi- Weightloss are so supportive and the one I go to in Winter Park  has a great crew. As they said on "Cheers", sometimes it's nice to go where everybody knows your name. 


The only part of this diet, er, um, new way of life that has not been successful is my Ketosis level. The Medi-Weightloss diet is a ketogenic diet. Which is what, you say? Ketosis is basically defined as the build-up of ketones in your bloodstream where your body produces ketones for fuel. When this happens your blood ketone concentration is higher than your glucose concentration. Ketosis drastically lowers insulin; which in turn causes your pancreas to start producing glucagon. After this happens while on a ketogenic diet, your body will basically go into a dramatic fat burning mode. Ketones are by products of fat metabolism and are an alternative source of fuel for the brain, heart, skeletal muscle and other oxygen requiring tissues to utilize in times of starvation, carbohydrate restriction or extended periods of exercise. A ketogenic type diet occurs basically by starving your body of carbohydrates and sugars. Glucagon is what determines if and how much ketones are produced in your bloodstream. 

So what does it mean that my Ketone levels are negative? Basically, although my body is being starved and shocked by being denied all of the sugars and carbs, it still thinks everything is cool. My body still doesn't feel in crisis enough to start burning the fat as an alternative fuel source.


I guess it's because I've been holding on to my fat for a long time. Or maybe because in my dreams I eat big slices of chocolate cake drenched in hot fudge smothered in cherries and ice cream. Whatever. 5.6 pounds works for me either way!

1 comment: